Monday, March 20, 2023

Calf 3 is drinking now

I checked on calf 3 and cow 110 at 3 am this morning.  They were just laying right next to each other and enjoying the night.

At 7:30 am I checked and calf 3 was drinking from cow 110.  Success.

I released cow 110 and calf 3 from the loading part of the corral and moved them over to the south corral where the hay is in the feeder.  Cow 110 wanted to eat the hay and calf 3 stood next to her.  But the replacement heifer calves were fascinated by cow 110 and the calf.  It was like several of the replacement heifers were in heat by the way they acted towards cow 110 and the calf.  When one heifer tried to mount the little calf I had enough.  I didn't want the calf to be hurt.  I herded the two heifers, who were acting up, out into the main corral.  They can cool off out there.

Cow 110 now acts like an attentive mother and looks out for her calf and lets her drink from her.

No comments: