Friday, March 31, 2023

2023 - Calf 7 - No Tail's

Panda is so close to having her calf.  Yesterday morning her udder was large.  I thought she would have her calf later that afternoon.  No.  Then I thought by sunset.  No.  This morning I checked earlier than normal.  Walking out I saw a cow and a calf and from a distance it looked like a new calf.  When I got close I saw it wasn't Panda.  No Tail had her calf a very short time before.  No Tail was still licking her calf and the calf had not stood up yet.

I went and checked on the rest of the cows and Panda.  No other calves.  When I came back to look more on the new calf some of the replacement heifers followed and now want to check out this new calf.  No Tail was not happy with their attention and would shake her head at them when she wasn't licking her new calf.

The new calf is a heifer.  Big and beautiful.

In the afternoon Donna came and helped me ear tag the calf.  We did it quick.    No Tail and her calf were now closer to the rest of the cows.  The calf has strength and got up quickly after she got her ear tag.  She then wandered around while Donna and I looked at the rest of the cattle.   Then one of the replacement heifers got interested in the new calf and would follow and check it out.  When the heifer tried to mount the new calf I chased the heifer away.  But she would eventually come back to the calf.   Teenagers!

As you can see, while momma has no tail, her calves always are born with a tail.

No comments: