Thursday, July 22, 2021

Moving cut branches from tree stump 16

Earlier, when I was working on eliminating tree stumps this past Spring, I had mentioned how I cut up the branches leaning around one tall tree stump into smaller branches I can use in my wood stove this Winter.  I was waiting for the right time to haul them to my yard and store them in my patio area.  I wanted to move the branches before my irrigation lines went to this part of the pasture and soaked the branches.  I had to wait until the cattle were released to the pasture and the temporary extended corral was taken down.  I also was waiting for the cattle to be in the neighbor's field as that would make it easier for me to clean up the area.  I also had to wait until my irrigation lines were east of my house so I can drive out to the pasture.  Today the cattle were coming back to the south pasture as the neighbor's field has been eaten down well.  So yesterday I hauled the tree branches to the yard.  I also wanted to haul off the small branch debris and place it in part of the pasture where I don't harrow.  I got one pickup load hauled yesterday.  Today I got the rest hauled away and the area cleaned up.  I even spent time and removed most - but not all - of the tree's side roots that were at ground level.  I figure that removing them before the grass grew back would make it easier to find and dig and cut.  I'll get rid of the stump another year.

Yesterday and today the high temperature was in the mid 80s.  I don't know why but this afternoon I started to drag and get tired while I had more energy yesterday.  And apparently thirsty today.  Once I got the pickup loaded and the side roots and the area cleaned up, I drove the pickup over to the middle pasture and parked it.  Some of the cattle were mooing and letting me know they wanted to come back to my pastures.  First I had to go home and get something to drink.  While I was not thirsty, even the inside of my mouth felt really dry.  So apparently I was thirsty.  Then I went and let the cattle into the south pasture as almost all the cattle were standing by the gate and waiting for me.

Even after unloading the pickup I was still tired.  I had a meal and rested a bit.  It wasn't until 8 pm that all my energy was back.  And it is still there as I write this post.

This is how the tree looked earlier this year.



I had cut more branches than I thought as I filled my pickup with them.


All cleaned up.

On the drive back to the yard I drove by stump 13.  Still standing.  The cattle haven't pushed it over yet.  Other areas where I removed tree stumps this year the cattle have used the dirt as a "bath".  Quite a number of those stump areas are now lower due to to the missing dirt.  I don't know why this stump area is still level.


No comments: