Monday, July 26, 2021

Haynes, hay baler, etc.

A busy day.  I didn't get all my sleep.  After five hours of sleep I got up at 7 am to move irrigation pipes. After that was done I went out to check on Diamond.  Still no calf from her.



I saw Muscles laying a short distance away.  But where was Haynes?   The rest of the herd was on the other side of the fence, in the middle pasture.


Toby is in the center.


I saw Mama's calf along the fence.





I looked and saw Haynes eating grass along another part of the fence.  He was in the middle pasture near the rest of the cows.

 


I walked along the fence and found how he got across the fence.  On an old three-strand section the top wire was broken.  I got the fence stretcher and fixed it.



I let Haynes stay over with the rest of the cattle.  I wondered how he and Toby would get along.  Better than I expected.  In the evening, after I moved irrigation pipes again and then removed a pocket gopher from a trap I had set the other day, I saw Toby and Haynes together in the south pasture.  They were acting like best buddies.  They were standing next to each other and slowly rubbing against each other.


After I was done with checking on Haynes and the cattle in the morning I finished installing the fixed belt to my hay baler.  I threaded the belt into the baler last night but I couldn't quite make the ends of the belt reach each other.  Since the mornings are cooler than our afternoons I wanted to finish installing the belt then.  I got my neighbor Curtis to help.  It took two people to pull the belt tight and then install the pin to hold the ends together.

So now I am done fixing my baler and I parked it.

After breakfast I rode my bicycle south of town to the place where an auction is held.  I seen on their listing they had an older carbon fiber bicycle they would be selling this evening.  I checked and the frame size was correct for me.  The frame was lightweight and the parts looked good.  But there was something wrong with the bottom bracket as it was harder to turn than it should be.  Maybe one needs to re-grease the bottom bracket; or maybe it is something else.   I have enough to do and don't need another project that is for a secondary bicycle.  So I passed and didn't bid.  I see the bicycle sold for $105.  So it was good I passed on a bicycle I would need to fix.

The bicycle ride was 28 miles.  One irrigation sprinkler line was blocking me from driving my pickup for the day, that is partially why I rode my bicycle on a 92 degree hot day with wind.  The other reason is I haven't been riding many miles on my bicycle in July as I have been so busy, and I wanted to put some miles on my bicycle.   On the way home I stopped at a grocery store to buy some ears of corn.  At the store another person I know who also has cattle saw me.  He commented I looked out of it.  I guess I was due to the lack of sleep and the heat and work. 

When I got home I went to sleep and got 2 and 1/2 more hours of sleep before I woke up to move the irrigation sprinkler lines in the evening.

Just another day.

No comments: