Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Tree trunk cut up

In yesterday's post I mentioned I hauled and stacked some of the logs of a tree trunk I recently cut up.  Here are the photos of that tree trunk.

This is a tree that fell over seven(?) years ago.  It fell over onto a pile of wood I had previously used when burning tree stumps.  Every now and then over the years I cut up parts of the tree trunk when I had time and gas for my chainsaw. No hurry to cut the entire tree as it rested on branches and not on the ground.  So it wasn't decaying much.  This time I finished cutting the tree.  Since I had to use the chainsaw on a tree stump I had dug up nearby, I kept on going, even though it took me parts of a few days to entirely cut this tree.



I measured this.  It is exactly 24 inches in diameter.   My chainsaw blade is 21 inches long.  So I had to cut from each side to complete the cut.  I was careful and watched how I was cutting through the tree.  Still, the cut was not identical across the log as you can see in later photos below.



The length should be short enough to fit in my woodstove when the log is split.  But since the cuts weren't identical across the log, parts of some logs looked to be a little too long for the wood stove.  So I cut some logs again to make sure they would be short enough to fit in my stove.



The last of the tree trunk rolled off the wood pile. Which is good since it was hard to cut the tree when it was laying on the wood pile.



Looks like a fairly straight cut, right?  Nope.





I even cut off part of the tree stump.  I left this part of the stump for now.  The cattle can scratch on it.


No comments: