Sunday, April 04, 2021

Testicle and gate

Donna daughter. Kari, came to visit Donna this weekend.  They both came over Saturday to help me with the two calves that need to be banded.   Kari was a great help as she calmed the calves as Donna and I checked them for banding. So therefore the calves didn't do as much of trying to kick as we checked their testicles. The calves are getting bigger and can run fast.  And their mothers are in the mix trying to protect the calves.  I caught  one calf in the south corral.  The other calf we had to herd it into the loading ramp area as that area is smaller and then I could catch the calf.   Still only one testicle in each of the calves.  In fact, the one calf who had two testicles but the one testicle wouldn't go down far enough that we could band it, now we could only find one testicle in that calf.

So the waiting game continues.  Hopefully someday both testicles will drop in the calves.

While I checked and made sure the loading ramp area gate was closed properly, I didn't check one of the south corral gates.  This morning when I out to check on the cattle, I found the cattle that was in the south corral were in the main corral.  The cattle figured out I hadn't completely closed that one gate and they pushed it open.  Fortunately I do keep the main corral gate to the pasture closed so the cattle weren't able to join the rest of the cattle in the north pasture.  I herded the cattle back into the south corral and then made sure the gate was completely closed.

 


No comments: