Friday, April 16, 2021

Fruit tree area burn

Donna had me fertilize part of her field today.  We were waiting this afternoon for the fertilizer trailer to come back to CHS for me to use.  CHS forgot to call to call me when the trailer arrived. Donna called after 4 pm and I got the trailer after 5 pm.  It took less than an hour of driving around Donna's field to fertilize it.

While I was waiting for CHS to call earlier in the afternoon, since the wind was light (for once this past week), I decided to burn the dead grass in the fruit tree area.

Before I started the burn, these 8 turkeys decided to hang around my front yard.


Before

After

After the burn I noticed that one of my old fence posts caught on fire.  I had a 5 gallon pail with a hole in the bottom.  No problem I thought, I don't need much water.  The pail was 2/3rds full and by the time I walked - fast - from the cattle water trough to the fence post all but a few drop of water had leaked out.  I had to find a 5 gallon pail with no leaks.  Then I put the fire out.



The fence post had rotted earlier and I couldn't crawl over the fence as the post would start to lean a lot.  Now the post doesn't touch the ground.  Another thing for my to-do list.



Since the burn went well, I decided to also burn a small area with tall grass and weeds in the ditch near my mailbox.



No comments: