Friday, April 30, 2021

Stump 6 for the year

A few weeks ago, during a very windy day, one of my neighbor Jan's evergreen trees blew over.  She hired someone to cut up the tree.  The stump was left.   After I got my tractor back from my mechanic who was looking into why the tractor's fuel gage doesn't work (he has to order a new fuel sender unit as the unit the John Deere dealer put in last Fall was defective), I decided to use the tractor to get Jan's tree stump out.




Evergreens out here tend not to have a tap root, just side roots. Due to how the stump looked I figured it wouldn't be hard for the tractor's bucket to push the stump out of the ground.   Nope.  I figured out why the tree blew over.  There were no side roots on one side of the tree.  There were some side roots on the other sides of the tree.  The tree was a decent size, but the side roots didn't seem all that large.  But a few of them were tough and didn't want to break.  I had to go get my spade and an axe and dig and chop a number of side roots.  Then I was able to push the stump out of the ground.



No comments: