Sunday, June 28, 2020

Tree work. Corral work.

I looked for the second nut from the chainsaw today.  Several times.  But could not find it.  In my supplies I found a nut that would work on the chainsaw.

For several days I had left the apple tree laying on the ground so the cattle could eat the leaves as they seem to like eating tree leaves.  Most of the leaves were now gone so I trimmed all the branches off the fallen trunk.

In the following photo, the tree trunks left to cut once I get my chainsaw working again.  The apple tree is in the middle.  At least all the tree trunks are lying on the ground so I don't have to worry about a trunk falling on a cow or calf, especially as some calves liked to stand underneath the tree trunks when they were higher up.




I used a shovel to dig around the bottom and an axe to chop the remaining roots to take down the apple tree trunk leaning against the fence.



I somewhat straightened the fence posts. Another day I will use a sledgehammer to firm the ground up against the posts.  And I will tighten the wires back up.



I forgot to mention. The second day of trapping to catch the pocket gopher in the middle pasture, I had got him.

Rain is definitely in the forecast.  In the evening I pulled the harrow and smoothed out the extended corral and also was able to go around the main corral to smooth it out as they were still a mess from driving on them when we last had lots of rain.  In front of the loafing shed the ground is still very soft and wet and I had to use four-wheel drive on the tractor to drive there.


I was going to snag the wooden hay feeder so I removed the floor boards and tipped the feeder out of the way.




After the harrowing was done I used the tractor to straighten a railroad tie in the loading corral fence.  I had a block of wood on the tie to hold the gate when the gate is open.  The cattle this Spring rubbed on the railroad tie and the block of wood and made the railroad tie lean.  So the gate would no longer stay on the block of wood.  That's fixed now.

When everything was done I let the cattle into the north pasture from the middle pasture.  It was time to rotate the cattle between pastures.  They were all happy to be in the north pasture as it was something new to do.   Maria and Diamond are still in the NE pasture and they came running to the corral gate.  So everyone was on each side of the corral gate trying to socialize.  Especially the bull who wanted to check Maria and Diamond out.  It has been almost a month since the bull has been with the other cows and all have now gone through their 21 day heat cycle and all should be bred, except Mama who was late in having her calf and probably has not come into heat yet.

No comments: