Sunday, June 07, 2020

Stump 3 removal

For the past number of weeks I have spent part of my time digging around more of the tree stumps in the middle pasture.  It is easier to dig in the Spring before the ground gets dry and hard.  And I wanted to get rid of some of the stumps so I have less stumps to drive around when dragging my harrow in the Spring.  Since the stumps are relatively small it takes three or four passes around the stump to cover all areas around the stump.  And if another stump is nearby that makes the loops around the one stump a bit tricky.

I have all the stumps removed that I planned to work on this year.  Actually a few more than planned as things were going well.  I mostly cleared up a few areas of the middle pasture and I believe I have only one area to clear next year of stumps.  As I burned the stumps each in their own bonfire I also eliminated/got rid of four piles of branches, several small sized and several medium sized.   So next year dragging the harrow should be easier and quicker.  And a few branch piles had also caused me to slightly veer the irrigation pipes when the line ran in a few spots.

So, I'll try to get photos and posts up of the stump removals over the next few days.

First off, I'll show you one of the tree stumps I plan to leave alone.  I have several of these stumps in each pasture.  Theses stumps are big enough the cattle can rub on them if they feel they have an itch to scratch.

One side of the kept stump.

The other side of the kept stump.

Stump 3 for the year.   Actually I was able to dig and cut out this stump as the stump's roots were soft and not so big.  In hindsight I probably should have just burnt this stump and also got rid of more tree branches.  The other stumps I later removed were bigger and harder and I able to burn them one night each.








Photos of the four sections of the removed stump.





In the background of the previous photo is a dirt mound of another nearby stump I had dug around and was drying so it would be easy to burn.

No comments: