Thursday, April 23, 2020

Yearlings to auction

Today I took the last of my yearlings to the livestock auction in Missoula.  Three steers and one heifer.  It is nice to finally be done with them as it will make life and handling cattle a bit simpler.  Now to find out how much cattle prices are lower due to the coronavirus pandemic.

I started loading the cattle 15 minutes earlier, at 6:15 am, than I did two weeks ago.  I still left home about the same time and arrived at the auction about the same time.  The timing was still good.  The weight of the yearlings seem good and my trailer felt heavy so naturally I was driving a decent amount below the speed limit.  Less than a half hour from Missoula I was passed by a large pickup and large stock trailer.  When I arrived at the auction that trailer was just pulling out of the unloading area and I immediately was able to unload my cattle.

Today was rainy most of the day.   Light rain when I loaded my cattle.  Off and on light to heavy rain during the drive to Missoula.  No rain when I unloaded my cattle.  Off and on rain during the drive home.  So the mountain and lake photos during the drive home do not look the same as two weeks ago.



Mission Mountains on April 9.

Mission Mountains today.

Looking north towards Flathead Lake on April 9.

Flathead Lake today.

East side of Flathead Lake.

No comments: