Sunday, April 26, 2020

Toby pushing

Saturday evening when I fed the cattle Toby was making a fuss at the gate by the barn feeder.  Red was eating from the barn feeder and Toby was trying to get his head through the gate to smell her.  He couldn't fit through the gate and Red was getting annoyed at the attention and moaning from Toby.  Red just wanted to eat hay.  Occasionally she would turn her head to the gate and let Toby know to back off and leave her alone.

This morning when I fed the cattle I saw boards loose from the corral fence. Toby had pushed against the boards and loosened the boards from one railroad tie post.  Because I had wire also on the boards everything held together.



Toby and all the cattle were where they were suppose to be so no one got through the fence.


I re-nailed the boards to the railroad tie post and added more nails in the boards.

Formerly I had a line of steel pipe nailed to the fence line here so pushing of the boards would not happen.  However the yearling calves pushed and pushed on the steel pipes and broke them off the fence this Winter. They also bent some of the pipes and broke the connections where the pipes screwed into one another.

I have seven railroad tie posts and I was able to re-hang pipes on four of the posts.  I also was able to bend the pipes straight again, but I didn't come up with a way to connect the pipes together again, so that is why only four of the posts have pipes attached to them.

Below is how the pipes are fastened to some of the posts.  Not the greatest as the calves had broken some of these fasteners and they couldn't be re-used.


With no other metal fasteners I ended up nailing some small boards to create a fastener.  I'll see how long this last if the cattle decided to push on it.


No comments: