Monday, April 20, 2020

Cow 60 in heat

Last night I saw Toby eyeing Cow 60.  This morning before I fed the cattle Toby was keeping close contact to cow 60.  When I fed them hay Toby and cow 60 went to eat hay.  While cow had her calf March 17, a touch over a month ago, some cows can come into heat again earlier than usual.  I haven't seen the two cows who had calves before cow 60, come into heat yet.

Donna came over at 1 pm to help me get cow 60 and her calf into the south corral to be with the steers and away from Toby.  We found Toby and cow 60 laying right next to one another.  Have they already had sex and are taking a break before doing it again?

While they got up and were close to one another while moving around I was able to get the corral gate shut quickly to separate Toby and cow 60.  I kept Toby out of the corral while Donna and I herded cow 60 into the south corral.

Cow 60's calf was harder to herd into the corral, and then into the south corral, especially when Toby wanted to come past the gate and into the corral when Donna had the gate open.  Eventually we got the calf into the south corral.

Toby meanwhile was walking along the corral fence and gate and moaning for cow 60.  At sundown he was still moaning and walking.  He checks some of the other cows more frequently and some are getting annoyed by his behavior.

In a day or two cow 60 will be out of heat and I can let her out of the south corral.  Eventually I want to put Toby into the south corral, but I am waiting until I get the steer calves out and to auction later this week.  Until then I am much more careful about being in the corral with Toby nearby.

Always something to make more work.

Where is my cow in heat?

Looking at cow 60 on the other side of the gate.

Cow 60 and her calf

Speckles and her calves

No comments: