Friday, April 10, 2020

Sunny Thursday, cattle, and repair work

Thursday afternoon was a sunny and warm day.  Finally!    Friday was a cloudy day but almost as warm.  Tonight an artic front is predicted to arrive and stay the weekend.  Weather forecast is not good.  I still have 5 cows left to have calves.

From the livestock auction's market summary it appears I did well considering the market this Spring.  My calf weighed 905 pounds, about what I predicted.  My cow was the heaviest cow sold at the auction.  She weighed 1810 pounds.  I knew she was large, but she weighed more than I expected.


Here are some photos from Thursday afternoon of Speckles, Red's calf, their calves and last year's calves back in the corral.  Most were sleeping until my hammering repair work woke them up.



Yes, she is still alive.  She is just sleeping really hard.


Even the mother cow is sleeping.

Now that I woke the mother and calf it is time to drink.

Do you have to stand in the feeder?

Both of her calves are drinking at the same time.

A corral fence board was knocked off Thursday afternoon.  I imagine Toby the bull did it in order to check on one of the cows in the corral.  Last year he did something similar.  To the right of the opening you can see where I nailed wire fencing to the corral fence where he had pushed the board off last year.  If Toby is going to do this again I guess I will have get more wire fencing and nail it to the corral fence.



I also pounded a few steel posts in the ground by the salt feeder.   The cattle have gotten into a habit of tipping and flipping the wooden feeder over.  Often they flip it over and on top of the salt block.  The cattle have gotten into the habit of doing this every few days.  So maybe these posts will stop the wooden feeder from being flipped.




No comments: