Thursday, April 16, 2020

Whose left?

I got up and went out at 6 am this morning to check on the new calf.  Speckles and her calves were laying in the roofed area.  Cow 80 and her calf were not in the roofed area as they were laying next to the metal hay feeder.  They were laying on hay as the cows pull some of the hay off the bale and then next to the feeder for the calves to lay on.  80's calf was fine.

I have three cows left to calve.  Mama and Diamond were late having calves last year so they will be late again this year.  I expect Mama to calve the end of May or early June.  Diamond should calve in early August.  That leaves Maria left to calve.  She should calve anytime now.  But we'll see.  I remember that I saw the bull interested in Maria and trying to mount her this past Winter.  That is late to be bred.   I wonder if Maria lost her calf and needed to be rebred, or whether the bull was confused as to whether she was in heat.  I'll eventually will find out once she has her calf.  Maria looks pregnant but she is also very fat.  Older cows can be harder to show signs they are close to giving birth.

Maria


No comments: