Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Splitting logs for the year

Well, since I couldn't really do much fence rebuilding this Fall I needed some activity to do.  While I already had enough logs split for burning in my wood stove for a year or two, I decided to split more logs.  I have lots of logs that still need to be split for firewood, probably enough logs for three or four more years of burning.  While the pole shed storage for split logs is full and stacked to the roof rafters, I had room in my patio for this Fall's split logs.  Since I wasn't planning on splitting all the logs I just split some logs each day so as not to over tax my condition.

The paper bags in the background hold the bark and very small split wood pieces.  They burn easier and help start the fire in the wood stove.


Well, time passed and I split lots of logs. (Though I still have lots and lots of logs left to split.)  A few weeks ago I decided to quit splitting logs for the year.  Just in the patio I have more logs split and ready to burn than probably what I'll burn this Winter (unless Winter turns brutally cold before it is over).


While I have "quit" splitting logs that doesn't mean I won't still split a few logs on occasion.  I have a large stack of logs out in the pasture and sometimes when closing or opening a gate to feed cattle some hay I pick up a log that looks like it should be split and bring it back to split later.  So the pile of split logs in the following photo now actually continues on to the end of the ladder and the stack is almost as high as the wood pallets leaning against the picnic table.   I guess it doesn't hurt to have more split logs than I need this Winter.


No comments: