Sunday, December 22, 2019

Digging a tree stump

When recovering in early to mid October from my September accident I couldn't just lay around and do nothing.  But even now I am surprised at what I did back then.  I don't think I was home a week before I started to walk in my pastures to check things out.  I thought before the accident I had eliminated all the pocket gophers from my fields, but I was wrong.  I discovered fresh dirt mounds in the middle pasture.  Well, it isn't too hard to check a pocket gopher trap once a day.

Before the accident there started to be at times a pattern where the pocket gophers would try to avoid the traps or fill them with dirt.  It could take quite a number of days to finally trap the pocket gopher.  So I expected that to happen again.  There was a small tree stump out near the pocket gopher trap.  The stump was very short so one could drive over it.  But one wouldn't want to drive a vehicle tire over the stump itself.  I figured that I could dig a little each day around the stump after I checked the pocket gopher trap.  I caught the pocket gopher in one day.

The stump?  It turns out this "small looking" stump was one of the biggest stumps I dug around.  It turns out the stump was from a western larch / tamarack tree. Even though the tree was a stump for at least several decades - or more - it hadn't decayed and was hard and solid.  Also with no tap root the stump's roots were six major roots.

I didn't plan on digging too deep around the roots - just deep enough that after burning the stump it would be low enough that it wouldn't squeeze out of the ground until I later passed away.  But some of the roots went sideways and intertwined with out of the stump's roots.  As I dug around the stump I dug deeper and deeper. Then I got the idea to cut and remove a few of the roots using my chainsaw so I more easily dig around the rest of the stump's roots.  My chainsaw's chain already had been worn down, and with the hard roots the chain eventually mostly wore out.  But I did remove three of the six roots using the chainsaw, and one more using an axe.

By now yet another day passed and by now I felt I may as well keep digging deep around the remaining roots.  The roots get narrow when they go lower in the ground.  I decided to use an axe and I chopped and cut and removed the remaining roots.  So much for burning the stump to get rid of it.

I hauled off the stump I had cut and removed.  It completely filled my pickup's bed!

Normally it would have taken me two, maybe three days, to dig and remove the stump. It took me a week as I didn't have strength to dig much or for a long time each day.  Often I would kneel and dig as standing much was still an issue for me.  Often I would only dig for a few hours each day.  Near the end I worked a long day.  The weather forecast was for a pattern change and it was suppose to start raining the next day.  I felt if I put in a long day I would be in a position where I wouldn't have to dig in muddy dirt.  One of my accident's side effects for a while was that my appetite wasn't working.  I wouldn't get a feeling where I felt I had to eat.  So I forgot about the time and eating as I worked on the stump.  When recovering I often had to take a break and rest numerous times.  It was late afternoon when the latest rest turned into a collapse.  I suddenly lost all my strength due to the lack of eating.  I had to lay on the ground a long time in order to get enough strength to stand and walk back home.  Fortunately the cattle were not in this pasture so I didn't have to worry about them walking on me as I lay there.

Therefore, I didn't get all of the stump dug that day.  But the weather forecast was wrong.  It didn't rain the next day and I was able to complete digging, and even removing, the stump.

That is the only stump I removed this Fall this year.  I wasn't going to chance any future problems by working on another stump this year.


I forgot to take a photo before I started digging.  But what had been above ground only was the two black top sections of the roots in the back.  That is why I didn't think the stump was as big as it turned out to be.


Not quite all of the dirt I had dug.

The roots I had cut mainly with a chainsaw.

The remaining roots to remove the day after I had collapsed.


Remaining root removed using an axe.

Some of the roots I had dug and removed.  I had more roots elsewhere around the hole.

I used my tractor to push the dirt back into the stump's hole.

No comments: