Friday, December 27, 2019

Split railroad tie fence post repair

Over the Summer I had a railroad tie that had the potential to split, got split because of the bull.  Back when I still had two cows in the NE pasture the bull wanted to visit them.  Since he had serviced the rest of the cows I let him into the NE pasture.  Well, after a couple days the bull wanted to go back to the rest of the cows to recheck them.  He pushed on the gate and bent it up and twisted it at the end.  But he didn't get through the gate until I later let him out to rejoin the rest of the cows.  The gate was chained to a railroad tie.  The bull's pushing against the gate caused the railroad tie to split in two quite a way down.

Late this Fall I used the tractor and also a sledgehammer to try to straighten the hard metal gate.  I was able to hammer the bent rail pretty straight as you can't tell the bottom rail is crooked anymore near the end of the gate.  Using the tractor I drove on, and later used the tractor's loader when the gate was rehung, to try to bend the cockeyed twist out of the gate.  The gate is less twisted, but still has a bit of twist.  At the end near the railroad tie the bottom of the gate is at one side of the tie and the top of the gate is at the other side of the tie.  Lots better than before.  You can't see the cockeyed twist from the angle I took the following photos.

Once the gate was 'straightened' I worked on the railroad tie.  Not a pretty fix, but the tie is back together and not apart more inches like it was.  The fix is much easier to do than digging the tie out of the ground and replacing it with another railroad tie, especially since when I made the fix the ground was already frozen for the year.




No comments: