Monday, December 23, 2019

Cutting a fallen tree

Once I got the tree stump dug and removed I looked for something else to do.  Even though the chainsaw's chain was worn I tried to use the chainsaw to cut up this fallen tree.  I got about three-fourths of the tree cut before the chain became useless.  The chain was old and worn and I already had planned on replacing the chain next year.  I wanted this tree cut up so I used a handsaw and cut the remaining tree.  The chainsaw had cut over half the tree from the narrow end to past the middle.  I also had cut a few pieces from the larger end. So... I had to use the handsaw on mostly the larger end of the tree.  Needless to say it took me a handful of days (in October and November) to finish cutting the tree, partly because I was still recovering from my September accident and partly because the tree was so thick.



A month ago another strong wind storm tipped over another dead tree.  Fortunately this time the tree was thinner, less than half as thick as this tree in the photo and not as tall.   Again I wanted to cut up the tree to remove it from the pasture and use it as firewood.  I had to use a handsaw again.  But it only took me about four or five days of taking a little time each day to cut up that tree.

No comments: