Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Fixing fences to the hayfield

After I returned home from the hospital I had some fence work to accomplish as soon as I could so it wouldn't stop me from letting the cattle into the hayfield.

First to fix was the back yard / hayfield fence that Maria had broken back in early September.


I had planned on rebuilding this fence by replacing the split rails and fence posts.  I also had planned to replace the wooden gate with a metal gate I had bought last year.   That is why the rebuild hadn't started before the accident.  The effects of the accident changed my plans.  The pasture grass was pretty much eaten down after I returned home from the hospital, but I was still waiting to let the cattle into the hayfield.  Before I wanted to let the cattle into the hayfield I wanted to at least fix this fence.

Fortunately before the accident I had gotten out my extra split rails from where they were stored.  They were the right length.  To help me Donna held up one side of the split rail while I held up the other side and then nailed it to the fence post.  I had three split rails to replace.  That was about all I accomplished that day.


Later on another day I fixed the split rail Maria had broken when she tried to get into the corral to eat the apples the bull hadn't finished eating yet.  The rail I had replaced was the second rail from the bottom between the railroad tie and the thin fence post.  It doesn't look the straightest as to the right of the thin post I wanted the opening to be large enough that I could squeeze through the fence when I wanted to.  I did add a board for extra protection between the bottom and second rails and the ground.


No comments: