Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Willow stump removal

A few years ago the willow tree blew over onto the garage.  All that remained since then was a stump about four inches tall. I waited and a new tree never re-grew from the roots.  The stump was annoying to mow around and to shovel snow around.  And I had to be careful when moving snow with my tractor to not hit the stump.  I had planned to have a bonfire this year and burn it.  But the dry year and fire restrictions quashed that.

While I still have lots to do to clear out the hayshed, three days ago I had a few spare minutes and I started to dig around the stump.  Each day over the past three days I removed a wheelbarrow load of the stump that I broke off by hand.

Today I was left with this, the most solid part of the stump.



I decided to use my tractor to finish the stump off.  After knocking the stump into the hole I still had to pull it out with a chain as one root was still flexible and did not break.


No comments: