Thursday, August 03, 2017

Beaver and willows

There is a beaver somewhere in my river. Usually there is no sign of it.  But in the Fall the beaver will come and chew down the willow trees along the river bank.  The willows that have survived and grew back the next year are now more like bushes than trees.  Every year I resolve to put a little fencing around the surviving willows to stop the beaver in the future.  Every year something comes up and the fencing doesn't get done.

This year the beaver came early.  Yesterday I seen the beaver's work on several willows.  Before the beaver could get to the rest of the willows this afternoon I put some fencing around the larger willows.  I have a few small single stalk willow trees to fence tomorrow.

A partially chewed willow bush in front of an intact willow bush.

Closer view of the damage.

Another willow chewed up except for a single branch going to the right side.

I also have to protect the willows from the cattle reaching over another fence to eat the willows from the top.

No comments: