Friday, August 11, 2017

Another bull

Tonight one bull and at least one cow was brought to the field across the road from my hayfield.  As dry as the field grass is, you'd think the cattle owner would take cattle out.  But this is a different guy.  He said his pasture has no grass.

I stopped over to see what was up.  There were two guys, an older guy and a younger 30ish guy.  I thought the older guy was the owner.  The younger guy was the owner.  The older guy was Ernie the brand inspector who had helped the owner.

I am not too happy about this.  When I initially let my cattle into the hayfield my cattle and Buddy were interested in the cattle across the road.  With no bull all Summer those cattle were open, and one cow may have been in heat.

Since then my cattle and Buddy hadn't paid the other cattle too much attention.  With all the activity tonight my cattle were at the fence watching.   Now with the other bull across the road both he and Buddy stand at their respective fences and watch and bellow at each other.  After dark I rode my bicycle by on the road and while my cattle had wandered off to eat, Buddy was standing near my fence and staring across the road.

Both fences are good.  My weak link is my barb wire string gate.  Last weekend I bought four used gates, two of which I plan to use to someday replace my barb wire string gate.   Of course the bulls had to be along the fence where Buddy then stood at my gate.  Buddy easily puts his head over the top of the gate.

I put in two metal t-posts to reinforce the gate.  But I still wasn't comfortable.  So I got two of my corral panels and set them to block the gate.  I feel a little better now.  I don't want to have to separate two bulls mad at each other.

Buddy is huge.  The brand inspector guessed that Buddy could weigh as much as 2500 pounds.  That is over 1 ton.

Buddy is twice the size of that little Corriente bull and could easily handle it.  Except the other bull has horns.

No comments: