Sunday, September 03, 2017

Testing my hay

Everyone warned me about the potential of having too high of nitrates with barley and oat hay if I cut it at the wrong time.  I believed I cut it at the right time.  Still, I had the hay tested.

CHS sent my hay sample to a lab to be tested.  They lent me the following device to grind up and gather hay samples.


How one gets a hay sample from a bale.

To get a representative sample from across the whole field, I gathered hay from a half dozen or more hay bales.  I filled a plastic baggie with the hay and this was sent to the lab for testing.





So I could have a nitrate level up to 700 and be safe.  My sample came back at 91.  I wasn't even close to 700.  I was well below the maximum value to be safe.

Since I was having the hay tested I also had the basic test done for overall hay quality.


For me the key value was RFV.  RFV means: Relative Feed Value. I was disappointed in my RFV.  I had a value of 90.44.   Definitely in the lowest class of quality.

The rest of the values I could not interpret as there were no charts indicating their appropriate levels.  I spoke with Andy, the feed agronomist at CHS.  For the items he was interested in, he thought the values were fine.  As to the  RFV, he asked if I waited too long to cut the crop whereby the nutrition had gone into the heads and seeds before I cut the crop.  No, I don't think so.  I could have cut the crop a few days earlier but I did cut the crop within seven days of when the crop first began to head out.

I explained the cut crop got soaked in the freak rainstorm and he felt that was what lowered my RFV.




Later after I cut the neighbor's field with grass that stands in the water for a while in the Spring when the river is high, I tested that hay.  To my surprise its RFV was higher at 98.  Still in the lowest class of hay quality, but slightly better than my crop.

I usually give my cattle a SmartLic supplement in their last trimester of pregnancy.  This year I will buy a second SmartLic tub so the cattle can lick it much of the Winter as they eat the various hay.

No comments: