Friday, August 04, 2017

Calves playing

This evening after I moved the north irrigation sprinkler line and I was walking back to open the valve to let the water into the line when I suddenly noticed the sprinklers were leaning.  I was in the middle pasture and looked back to the north pasture where the cattle were located.  About four calves had pushed on several risers and tipped the risers over on the connected pipes.

From where I stood I tipped the risers back upright.  The calves jumped back when I did so.  Then as I continued to walk back to the valve the calves tipped the risers again.  I yelled at the calves to 'Knock it off!!!'.  It didn't do any good.  They were having fun playing this game of tipping the risers after I would straighten them.  Eventually I gave up.  I walked to the valve and opened it.  Once the water came out of the sprinklers the calves moved away.  I then had to walk along the entire line dodging the water and tipping each riser back upright.

*sigh*

I trapped five pocket gophers today.  To avoid the sprinklers and the cattle when they were in the south and middle pastures, I had trapped the pocket gophers in the neighbor's small field across the road from me.  After trapping five gophers in that field over the past few days, and perhaps getting rid of all of them in that field for now, today I moved the traps back into my middle and south pastures.  I had to fix one trap.  With all the use I had made of my traps some are getting worn out.

I finished putting small fences around my willow trees down by the river.

Buddy is following Mama around like she is in heat.  She hasn't let him mount her yet but she does like him hanging around her.  Buster decided to ape Buddy as I saw him mounting other calves this evening.  He can hang on pretty good when the other calf starts to move away from him.

I bicycled 29 miles today but now my rear tire leaks air.

No comments: