Sunday, August 06, 2017

More hay, balloon, car crash

Today I cut my northern neighbor's field.  I hadn't cut it earlier due to my broken haybine, and the grass is in a low area that earlier was wet.  That is why the grass is still green and good at this late date.  The neighbor's upper field has short grass and is mostly dry and brown so I didn't cut that other than a swath or two along my fence to further remove temptation for my cattle to eat through the fence.

The fixed haybine worked perfectly.  For once I had no problems.  The haybine kicked up a large rock but I was able to stop and remove it before it caused any problems.  After cutting his field last year I now know where the partially hidden old stump is located so I avoided that.  The neighbor hadn't moved his rock pile to the side of his field like I had asked earlier this year and he had promised he would do when he refused my offer of moving the rocks for him.  It was annoying to watch for and then mow around the rocks.

It only took me a little over two and a half hours to cut this grass.


The rock pile is the grey circle left of center.

The rock pile is still partially hidden in the remaining tall grass.

Tall grass




This evening when I was finishing up moving the irrigation sprinkler pipes a hot air balloon landed in the neighbor's property across the road.  The balloon operator appears to have avoided the planted field and landed in the little bit of pasture near the house and trees.



Then during my evening bicycle ride, around dusk, an oncoming car didn't make the curve ahead of me and went into the ditch.  The ditch is steep but narrow so the car didn't tip but the car did run into a driveway across the ditch.  The car then went airborne and then landed on the other side of the driveway and continued on in the ditch a short ways before coming to a sudden stop against a power pole.  I was a few power poles away and impact caused the electric lines to vibrate and then also a few poles.  No lines or poles were broken.

The car headlights were on so I could easily see car's route as it drove through the ditch.  Lots of dust was still hanging thick in the air and across the road when I rode up to the car whose headlights were still on, even if the car was not running.  I was expecting the worst.

The driver's door was open and the air bag had deployed.  The male driver was moving and said he was ok when I asked him.  He was trying to restart the car with no success.  He was more annoyed than upset or in shock.  I asked him several times if he was alright and he repeated he was.  So after a little bit or watching him trying to restart his car then getting out of the car to see if there was something else he could do, I left.

He had driven around the corner a little too fast and probably had a few too many drinks.  Another typical Flathead driver.  No wonder our car insurance rates are so high.

No comments: