Friday, July 28, 2017

Haybine flat tire

The fun never ends.  Now that I have my haybine's universal joint fixed ($170), the attention now turns to fixing the end splines on the haybine's PTO shaft.  Wyatt thinks he can fix it this weekend.

This afternoon I planned on driving the haybine over to Wyatt's place.  I was pulling the haybine with my tractor down the road when I partially turned into a neighbor's driveway to allow room for a truck and trailer behind me to pass by.  As they passed me by they told me the haybine's right tire was flat and about to come off the rim.  That would explain why the haybine seemed a little more bouncy than usual as I pulled it on a paved road.  I think the tire's inner tube blew when I raised and lowered the haybine in order to set the transport pin in order to pull the haybine without needing to rely on hydraulics to hold the haybine up off the ground. I remember the right side suddenly moved more than usual.  I put it down to perhaps a sudden movement in raising/lowering the haybine.

I turned around and pulled the haybine home. After I got into the NE pasture and circled around to park the haybine the tire came completely off the rim.  Fortunately the tire was not damaged.

I had to dig some ground away in order to get a jack under the haybine's wheel arm.  This spot had not been watered so the ground was very hard.

The inner tube had been patched several times before.  Of course pulling the haybine on a flat tire, then no tire, ruined the inner tube even further.

I had an hour left before the Les Schwab tire center closed.   The good news was that they had an inner tube for my haybine's wheel in stock!

$24 and the tire and tube were put together and inflated by the time they closed at 6 pm.  Once the tire was back on the haybine I pulled the haybine over to Wyatt's place.  Wyatt just shook his head in amazement when I told him my continued run of luck was the reason I was late in bringing the haybine over.



The other tire.  What the haybine's tire looks like.

No comments: