Monday, July 24, 2017

Getting up early

I got up two hours earlier than I normally do.  I hadn't gone to bed earlier, I just slept two less hours.  I got up earlier to get more stuff done and to beat the heat.  I figure I could take a nap in the afternoon to catch up on my sleep.

I got the rest of the sprinkler line laid out.  I also needed an extra 1/2 length pipe along the north side of the ranch, and of course the pipe was along the fence on the south side.

The pipe I bent and damaged last week, I cut the bad end off.  It was four feet cut off.  Later I will fix the end.





I picked up two more pickup loads of hay from the hayfield so I could then irrigate the hayfield today.


After the one pickup load the side door in the barn was full. I still have a little room through the main barn door and I unloaded the second load there.  I have one more load of hay to rake and store in the barn tomorrow and then that will be it for hay for now.  There are also a few areas of loose hay south of the irrigation mainline but those areas will get wet and go back into the soil as I can't get to them using my pickup.

I put rubber bands on Buster's horns in order to dehorn him.  More on that in a future post.

I then ate breakfast at 3:30 pm.  I had been up and working since 8 am.

I fell asleep for 20 minutes then woke up and went out to start up the irrigation pump.  I had three sprinklers acting up and not working.  Two I was able to run a wire through its nozzle to open the flow.  The third sprinkler I had to take off in order to remove a small bit of wood.  While doing that I had a geyser twice my height until I could screw the sprinkler back on.  Fortunately it was a hot day to get wet.

As this line runs along the road then turns and goes along the north fence in the NE pasture, I had to readjust a few sprinkler locations to avoid getting the road wet and also to miss the hay bales in the NE pasture.  Again, fortunately it was a hot day to get wet.

I also removed the grass and weeds that got sucked against the intake pipe's screen.

So I have very good water pressure.

But now it was after 6 pm, the time of the day when I have energy.  So much for taking a few hours nap to catch up on my sleep.

I went out and set my five pocket gopher traps as a number of pocket gophers have moved in from the neighbors and it has been driving me crazy, especially since I had no time to set the traps earlier.

Then I rode my bicycle for 18 miles until dark.

I think I'll sleep in tomorrow.

No comments: