Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Hay bale and irrigation blues

This hay is getting on my last nerve. I've about had it.  I should have been done with this a week ago and here I am still struggling with the hay.

Today I planned on moving all the hay bales to the NE pasture.  All didn't get done.  I had problems with loose twine, hay flaking off of bales, and bales falling apart. Some twine was only partially wrapped around bales and I ended up wrapping by hand some ends back around and around some bales.  All this took time.

I drove slow carrying bales to reduce parts from being shook off the bales.  Some bales fell apart when I lifted them up and I had to leave them in the field.  One bale flaked and flaked until I reached the gate and a small bump caused the bale to fall completely apart.  I was left with a small core around the bale spear.  The bale blocked the gate so I had to spent some time moving the hay out of the gate and to the side.  Some of this bale's flakes were "sheets" of hay.  Mixed with loose hay it can be hard to move the "sheets" of hay.

I have 8 bales left to move from the hayfield.

Then when I took a break to move the sprinkler lines I encountered two sprinkler pipes I couldn't unhook.  The hooked part was at the top of a high point which put pressure on the hook.  The pipes in each direction dropped and then rose by their ends.  That trapped the water in the pipes making them hard to move.  I was able to unhook the second pipe from the third pipe but raising the center hooked area did not drain the water.  Turning the hooked area to the side to relieve pressure did not work.  Nothing worked.  So I drug the hooked section over to try to get away from the higher area.

Dumb move.  With my strength I easily moved the pipes.  But the one pipe end didn't move and the pipe kinked badly.  So badly as to ruin the pipe.  Maybe I can salvage the pipe by cutting off the three feet to the kinked section.

So I had to go get an unused pipe.  More time wasted when I need to get the hay bales moved.  I am at the river end south of the mainline and tomorrow I need to move that line of pipes back to the hayfield.  Which has hay bales, broken bales, and flakes here and there.  Tomorrow I need to move the rest of the bales, then get the baler out to re-bale the flakes and broken bales.  Then lay the mainline pipe across the hayfield, then move the one sprinkler line.

Right.  You know with the luck I am having now this won't go as planned.

An example of a bale that needs to be re-baled.


Some of the bales that were good enough to be moved, still are in poor shape.

No comments: