Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pump, tractor and hay

New irrigation pump I ordered three weeks ago.... I called the company and they said it will be a week before they get the pump from the manufacturer, then another week for it to be delivered to me.  They said they couldn't have the pump sent directly to me from the manufactuer.


I finally heard from Tim.  He hadn't gotten the calf table from Zon yet.  He didn't bring me the squeeze cute from South Dakota as it was just him when he left and couldn't load it himself.  The tractor I want to buy from him... he said the local John Deere dealer said it was worth $44,000.  Too rich for me and much more than the other model 6400 tractors I see for sale around the U.S.  So I have to look elsewhere for a tractor.  I see a model 6400 for sale in Graham, Washington near where my relatives live.  Maybe I need to pay them a visit and come home with a tractor.


The local phone company added some bogus charges in my latest bill so I had to call and get them to remove them.  I read tonight that Montana plans to sue them for poor response times and poor service.


My neighbor Curt sold me his share of the hay Johnny cut for him.  Johnny is also short of hay so he took his share instead of payment. It is so hot and dry that Johnny was able to cut the hay Monday morning, rake it Tuesday afternoon, and bale it late Tuesday afternoon.  Therefore the hay is greener and much better than the hay my neighbor cut and let sit to dry out for a week before baling.

Curt said last year the field produced 24 large bales.  This year... seven bales. Curt's, and therefore my share, was only three bales.  But it is three more bales than I had earlier.  David, who cuts for Johnny, said he had seen on average only a third of the amount of hay this year than last year.  It is dry here and hay is in short supply.  Johnny, who I bought some hay from this past Spring, said he will be short of hay this year.  He, and I, may have to look east of the mountains for hay.

How did I get the three bales home?  I borrowed Curt's trailer and David was able to load the three bales on the trailer for me after he baled them. Ii then had to roll the about 1200 lb bales off the trailer once I got home.  That was no easy task as you can see the trailer leans down in front.




Four bales down... forty-six more to go.


My neighbor finished baling his small bales Tuesday evening and I got them put away into the barn.  While I usually buy 330 bales to fill the barn, this year my neighbor only had 269 bales for me.  I bought all he had.  He said he only got a quarter of his normal hay crop.

No comments: