Thursday, July 09, 2015

June's south pasture fence section rebuild

Over two days back in mid June I rebuilt a section of the south pasture fence boarding the neighbor's property.  I only could do it when the cattle were rotated into the middle pasture.  Other stuff had to be done so I only had two days to work on the fence before the cattle were coming back into this pasture.  This was the fence I was working on and had to finish when my water well pump pipe rusted through and I had to fix the well.

I haven't had any jailbreaks through this fence, but with only four strands of old barb wire on five foot six inch t-posts (before they are pounded into the ground), and other odds items as posts, I wanted to rebuild this fence sooner than later.

I replaced the old posts with fifteen posts.  The t-posts were six foot tall (before being pounded into the ground). I added strands of wire to have seven strands total.  120 feet of fence was rebuilt.

Right after I finished I let the cattle back into the south pasture.


Last year I put a gate in the corner and rebuilt 102 feet of the fence, that is why there is 6 strands of wire going to four strands in the photo below.


One of the fence "posts".  An old railroad rail.


I had to dig the rails out of the ground as they were crooked.  The rails were about 6 and 1/2 feet long.



Before the rebuild...


Yes, this pipe was a fence post.  The differing gaps is because the cattle put their heads through the fence and move the wire.  These 'posts' had no way to fix the wire in place. At least the rails usually had 'notches' cut in them to try to keep the wires in place (with varying degrees of success).



The leaning wood post was one of the few posts I kept, even if it was not on an eight foot post span.  The 'post' was more of a tree trunk and was still solid.


The end of the newest rebuild and the start of the old un-rebuilt fence.


Packing up to go home now that the rebuild was done.  Four of the five rails I dug out of the ground.




No comments: