Friday, July 17, 2015

No hay, hand, heifers and roof

It rains (sprinkles) just enough each day to get stuff wet.  Therefore my neighbor did not bale the hay on Thursday or Friday.

No hay on Thursday was kind of ok as I saw a nurse practitioner at a local dermatology office that morning.  I have a growth on the back of my hand that is not a wart.  She said skin cancer is often found on hands.  She numbed the site and then used a razor blade to slice off what stuck up above my hand.  It will be sent to a lab for analysis as to what it is and I'll find out in a week to ten days.

Initially they put a band-aid on the back of my hand but when I said I would be tossing hay bales in the afternoon they put a larger bandage on my hand and then wrapped it.



On Thursday the black heifer appeared to no longer be in heat.  By noon Buddy returned to the herd and was no longer laying outside the corral to be near her.  Therefore I let the heifers out of the corral and into the hayfield.  The herd was at the south end of the hayfield so it took a while for the heifers to make their way across the field to join the herd.

Rose should be coming into heat on Saturday.  I noticed late in the afternoon Buddy was hanging around her.  Two days out and he already knows she will be coming into heat soon.  Probably before even she knows.  On Friday Buddy was hanging closer to her, starting to lick her and rest his head on her back.  He looked like he wanted to mount her but held back.  Saturday should be the big day for her.

Rose was the heifer who went 'boy crazy' the last two times she was in heat so it will be interesting to see how she likes what she has wanted.  So far I'm not sure how she is taking to Buddy shadowing her every move.  She wanted Buddy's attention before but since she is not in full blown heat right now she may be overwhelmed with his attention and puzzled as to why she is the special female in his life.


On Thursday I finished the well pump's shed.  The shingle color is Aspen White.  The photo makes it appear to be even whiter than the white it is.


Just as I finished putting all the tools away it began to rain.  What timing!

With the occasional rain I haven't started removing the shingles to work on the tool shed roof.


Later Thursday evening I took the pipes off the old pump and took them apart into their smaller pieces.  With some effort I was able to unscrew all the pipes.  As rusty as they were I thought I may have to cut some of the pipes to get them apart.

The pump is heavy.  I weighed it.  It weighs 80 lbs.  The newer pumps around that horsepower don't weigh anything near that.  The new 7.5 hp pump I am buying weighs 84 lbs, almost as much as the old 1 hp pump.

Friday I replaced my worn out bicycle chain.  Now I need to get a new freewheel as the new chain skips on the two worn cogs.

Also on Friday I fixed most of the corral's loading ramp's gate that Dan's last cow broke.  I have one more board to nail tomorrow after I go hiking.

No comments: