Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Well problem

This morning I discovered the house's well pump would cycle on even though no water was being used. I discovered the water appears to be draining back into the well slowly when the pump shuts off. I had closed the valve running out of the well to the house and still the water drained away.  Either the pipe in the well has a hole or the foot value went bad.  It will be a big job to pull the pump and pipe; especially as it is housed in a small building.  I may have to take the building's roof off.

I talked to Kyle, my well and pump person who is familiar with my pump to see if I was missing something else to check.  I don't want to go through all the work of pulling the pipe if there is a possibility this may not be the problem.  Nope, Kyle thought it sounds like it could be a pipe or foot valve problem.

I couldn't get to the pump Tuesday as I had to finish rebuilding a section of south pasture fence as this afternoon/evening was time to switch pastures for the cattle and the fence needed to be completed before that could happen.  I did get the fence section rebuilt by the evening and the cattle switched. Earlier I had shut the power off to the pump to stop the cycling.  I would turn the power on when I needed water.  Unfortunately by Tuesday night I lost prime.  So my water source for now is my livestock well.

If not one thing, then another.

No comments: