Sunday, June 28, 2015

Oreo and Rose

Saturday afternoon when I looked out at the pasture from the house I thought I saw a calf in the middle pasture when the cattle were in the south pasture.  Yup.  Oreo was in the middle pasture trying to figure out how to get back into the south pasture.  She and the cattle were along the seven strand section of fence and Oreo was reluctant to go back to the four strand section of fence where she apparently slipped through the fence.

I went out and opened the gate and herded her through it so she could rejoin her mother.  She is a chubby little heifer.



Heading for the gate!

In the morning as I worked on the pump and leaks, Rose and the two black heifers lay in the shade across the fence from me.   Shortly before I finished working on the pump the heifers got up and began to graze.  A little bit later Rose began to bellow.  Yup, three weeks have passed already and she was in heat again.

After a little while she got more worked up and ran around jumping and kicking.  I opened the gate to the corral and Rose ran inside thinking the bull may be there.  The two black heifers followed and I closed the gate.  They will stay in the corral until tomorrow when Rose settles down.  In the corral she won't escape, while the NE pasture has a poor section of fence that the cattle don't realize they probably could get through it they tried hard.

As the day went on it got annoying as Rose called and called for the bull.

Below Rose looks like a little angel.  Trust me, for 24 hours she is not an angel.


Below is a link for a 17 second video of Rose calling for the bull. I tried to get more and better video f her bellowing and bellowing but whenever I got closer and turned the camera on, Rose got camera shy and quit bellowing.

https://youtu.be/mrfzCPQooAo

-

No comments: