Thursday, June 11, 2015

Trench day 3, and more

The electrician was here Wednesday morning to lay the conduit.  Not too early - 9 am - as I am not an early riser.  Maybe I should have consented to 7 am as he was interrupted twice to handle other projects/emergencies.  Therefore he did not get all the conduit in place Wednesday.

He did get the conduit laid for the barn so I was able to fill in that section of the trench.  That was important as in the morning I put up a couple temporary corral panels to keep the bull and steer away while he worked.  That meant no access to water for part of the day until I filled in the trench.

The scorch marks on the conduit is from the propane torch.  He heats the conduit so he can bend it to the shape he needs.


While the electrician did place a clip on the wall to hold the conduit up, later I saw Buddy walk over and start rubbing on the conduit freeing it from the clip.  I told Buddy to stop and he did.  I added a couple of temporary holders to the conduit until the electrician can fasten it more securely.


Now a black heifer is in heat.  Unlike Rose, this heifer is confused by being in heat.  She usually stands around confused.   The other black heifer tries to mount her.  The problem is when the heifer in heat hangs around the water trough.  Buddy was trying to reach her and was straining on the fence post and gate.  Earlier I had added a piece of steel to reinforce the post by the gate. Eventually something is going to give.  I herded the heifers out of the corral and locked the gate.  I put another water trough in the NE pasture by the other well and also placed their salt blocks in the NE pasture too.  So Buddy is reduced to wandering around his part of the corral and mooing for her girls.

Later I hooked up a number of hoses into one long hose and then watered the trees along the northern fence; especially the new trees I recently planted.



Rose by one of the new trees.

Daisy hung around as I watered the trees.  Usually she stayed on the other side of the fence since the heifers were interested in her.



A field fence is no problem for Daisy to slip through.



No comments: