Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Trench, day 2

Tuesday I cleaned up the trenches I made on Monday and made sure the depth was 18 inches.  In the corral was the real work.  Buddy had pushed most of the dirt back into the trench.

First I had to dig and 'move' the trench to be right next to the barn.  Daisy of course had to inspect the new trench.  Then she decided to lay where I was digging so I had to move to the other end of the trench.



The cattle of course also decided they had to be with me.  Even the heifers came and laid next to the gate.  That ensured Buddy was staying here.  Before they all laid down they were milling about.  Because Buddy wants a larger personal space when cows or heifers are around I had to really keep an eye on him and make sure I didn't intrude into his personal space.



Once the heifers left to go eat out n the NE pasture Buddy and the steer got up and wandered around - mostly around where I was trying to work.



The steer decided to move the board from the corner to where it is here in this photo.


Once the trench was cleared of dirt I placed boards and a few pallets over the top to (hopefully!) keep the trench from being filled in by tomorrow morning, and to prevent the cattle from stepping in the trench and possible hurting their leg.



Here is a 2 minute 30 second video of the cattle playing with the board: https://youtu.be/dKxyP5WKgzY


Here is a better view of how the horn has healed on the steer.




Once the trenches were cleared Daisy and I walked out to the pasture and the river.  I wanted to see how the cattle had eaten grass in the south pasture.  The turtle was on the river bank near the same place when Daisy and I walked by.  We both said "Hello" to  the turtle.  The turtle stayed on the river bank side of the new fence which is smart as the cattle can't reach it.


At another spot Daisy laid and watched the swallows swirling around over the river.  A group were flying around and around for two reasons:
  1. Daisy was laying on top of a high vertical riverbank and the swallows made their nests in the side of the riverbank.
  2. They were eating bugs.
Daisy was interested for two reasons:
  1. She had never seen swallows before, and their flying in loops in front of her was interesting.
  2. She mainly had to look out at them and not up.

I had seen a beaver swimming across the river at this spot the other day.  Not tonight.



No comments: