Sunday, May 17, 2015

Hay for Buddy and the steers

With all the cattle in the corral it is tricky moving the hay bales for the cattle.  For the cows, not too much.  I easily get them in the loading corral before I pull a hay bale into the corral.  I brought in another bale for them yesterday.

For the bull and the steers, not as easy.  First I put the cows into the loading corral.  Two days in a row this went smoothly.  Then I put some hay into the wooden feeder by the barn so Buddy and the steers would eat there.  Then I put up three corral panels to keep them in that part of their corral.  I did a little wiring to hold the panels up and to the fence.  If Buddy wanted he could have easily pushed the panels over.  But he didn't.

Then I was free to pull a bale through the corral and into Buddy's part of the corral.  I was able to remove the baling twine and get the feeder around the bale without interruption.  Most of this went smooth.  The only problem was pulling the bale.  First, the wood pallet twisted cock-eyed.  I redid the chain on the pallet so I would pull the pallet straight to lessen the chance the bale would roll off.  To no avail as the bale rolled off once I entered the corral.  With some effort I was able to push the bale back onto the pallet.  The bale wanted to roll off again so I wedged a wood block under the pallet.  Then I was able to pull the bale the rest of the way to Buddy's corral.

Unlike when I pull a bale for the cows - who make a racket, Buddy and the steers quietly and patiently waited for me to prepare the hay.

It will be so nice once I get a tractor to move the bales.






No comments: