Thursday, May 07, 2015

Bicycle repair

The bottom bracket (crank) on my bicycle needed work for some weeks now.  For a while I would occasionally hear metal scratching inside the bottom bracket as I pedaled.  Not good.  The last week the crank has had a lot of play.

I finally decided to take my bicycle to a shop to be fixed.  I've fixed the crank in the past, and planned to do it this time, but I've got a lot to do and time was passing by.

Spring is not the time to get a bicycle fixed as everyone is getting their bicycle out and tuned up and it is a busy time at the shops.  Sportsman, which sells the Cannondale brand, said it would take at least ten days as they had forty bicycles ahead of me.  The employee's attitude reminded me of a snooty maitre d.

I went to Wheatons bicycle shop.  They were busy but thought they could get my bicycle fixed in two days.  The mechanic easily convinced me to replace my crank with a sealed unit.  Due to the occasional scratching metal noise I was sure the crank was damaged.

The mechanic also chided me for a very dirty drivetrain.  The chain, freewheel, one ring on the front chain ring, and the derailleur all were worn out.  I already have a new chain and plan to fix the rest later.

I took my bicycle to the shop on Wednesday.  Wednesday night I felt out of sorts not having my bicycle here.  Thursday Wheatons called and told me they had already fixed my bicycle.  It took only one day and not two even though they were busy and I saw lots of bicycles in the shop to be fixed or tuned up.

I rode a few miles Thursday night.  The crank felt solid and it felt good to be back on my bicycle.

No comments: