Saturday, May 23, 2015

Cattle fighting

No cows must be in heat today as Buddy isn't moaning about the cows and is more relaxed.

Today was time for another large bale of hay for the cattle.  The cows had been taking three days to eat a bale, then 2.75 days.  This last bale they ate in 2.5 days.  I like to get them a new bale in the late afternoon so I fed them a small bale in the morning, then another in early afternoon to tide them over till late afternoon.  Being used to an all-you-can-eat buffet they would complain to me that they wanted more hay whenever they saw me outside in the yard.

Dragging a bale of hay into the corral went smooth for once.  The cattle were a distraction though while they were in the loading corral.  The large red cow was head butting a small calf into a corner.  Several times and hard, until I came over and chased the cow away.  The cow went on to fight another cow.

After letting the cattle out to eat the hay I left to work on a fence and gate.  When I came back to get another post the red cow was fighting with a black cow,  Really fighting.  I went into the corral with my sorting stick to whack them on their rear end to break it up. I had to follow them around as they would rejoin their fight.  I almost had gotten them broken up for good when Mama came running at me.  She stopped when I heard her and turned to face her.  I am not sure if she was coming to join the fight or stop me from whacking a cow on its behind.

By now I had all the cows attention and they were milling around and then stopped to watch me.  The red cow and number 7 finally quit their fighting.

Females with their grudges. 

No comments: