Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Cow in heat

I was concerned about this happening.  That is, the cows and heifers coming into heat while in the corral with Buddy in the next part of the corral just across the fence.

Late this afternoon I noticed several heifers and cows mounting and bothering another cow while she ate hay.  Number 7, who gave birth five weeks ago, was in standing heat.  Donna said that cows will start cycling into heat about six weeks after giving birth.

Buddy seemed attentive on his side of the corral but relaxed.  A short time later he was next to the gate by the water trough.  He was mooing in a low tone he seldom uses.   It must be his bedroom voice as the cow walked from the hay feeder over the gate.  A heifer was right with her.  This heifer may be coming in to heat soon as she was unusually attentive to the cow in heat.

The cow in heat turned around and Buddy tried to reach her through the gate to take a sniff.  I went in and broke it up before Buddy got too excited.

I tried to herd the cow into the loading corral to put some distance between the two.  She didn't want to go into the loading corral even though I herded her right to the gate.  The heifer following her didn't help matters.

The cow was getting agitated due to my herding her and the next I knew Mama was getting agitated and walking towards me.

Time for Plan B.  I called Donna for help.  She came over and after a little effort we herded the cow into the loading corral.  Then I wanted to get her calf into the loading corral with her mother.  I tried to grab the calf to walk it into the corral.  I had a hold of the calf but the next I knew Mama was charging me.  Mama had been relaxed the past few weeks as I have not bothered her or any other calves.  This calf wasn't her calf but Mama was concerned, and unlike the other cows, was going to take action.

It took a little more effort but I herded the calf into the corral with her mother without other cattle coming in along with her.  Donna put that down to luck and not skill on my part.  At one time I had to warn Donna as Mama started walking towards her and not me.

I'll let the cow out tomorrow once she is past standing heat.  Buddy is a little calmer this evening but he does moan a little as he can smell the cow in heat even if the cow is not immediately on the other side of the fence.  I told Buddy he needs to wait a month before 'getting with' the cows but I don't think he wants to wait.  It has been around nine months since he last got some action.

I wonder if the other twelve cows and heifers will be similar when they come into heat?


No comments: