Monday, January 05, 2015

Snowmageddon

It started snowing on Thursday and hasn't stopped.  Initially the snow was light but after midnight last night it got heavier.   Since the snow started we have gotten 18.8 inches of snow with 8.8 inches since midnight.

Needless to say I am buried. I'm not going anywhere any time soon.  I guess I should have bought an extra gallon of milk when I was at the grocery store last week.

The snow is so deep that is it almost up to my knees.  The snow tops my mud boots and gets inside.  So... I shoveled paths to all buildings (except the garage) and a path to to the corral.  In the corral I shoveled paths to the barn and the wood feeders.  I followed the cattle's path to the metal feeder in the north pasture.

I shoveled a path to the road.  I walked over to Bob and Jan's house and shoveled paths to their doors and garage and shoveled the snow off their deck. I pulled Jan out of the snow when she walked to get their mail and got stuck in the snow.

The road is straight and level but with so much snow it can be hard to tell where the road is and the ditch is. One car slid into the ditch by my fence yesterday morning.  Today three vehicles slid into the ditch between my mailbox and Bob and Jan's house on the other side of the road - and that was after the snowplow had cleared snow.  A snowplow drove by twice this morning.  The snowplow was driving the slowest I have ever seen them drive.  Maybe they weren't sure where the road was.

It snowed so hard I shoveled paths and an hour later had to re-shovel snow off the paths.

Later I shoveled from the house out towards the garage.  I shoveled a lot of snow and make a huge pile of snow but barely made a dent in the area needed to clear.  It's going to take a long time to clear the snow.  Donna offered me use of her second snow-blower but I can't get out of my driveway to go get it.

The forecast is for temperatures above freezing on Tuesday before getting colder again.  Warmer enough to change the falling snow to rain and to make the snow on the ground heavier and harder to clear.

Wednesday strong winds are forecast.

Can I just hibernate until Spring?




So much snow fell it covered the water trough.  I scraped the snow off the trough to find the water hadn't froze overnight.


The hay in the metal feeder had been eaten down to the level of the ring.  The snow buried the remaining hay.  I cleared snow out of the wooden feeder and threw a small bale for the cows and bull.


I used a pitchfork to find hay under the snow in the metal feeder.





The calves...





Look at the snow on the roof of this feeder.


No comments: