Monday, January 12, 2015

Shoveling snow for hay

I wanted to get back to feeding the cattle large hay bales.  Feeding the cattle small bales three times a day for the past week was getting old.  The problem: two feet of snow.

I spent most of Saturday and Sunday shoveling a path from the large hay bales out to the north pasture near where I had the metal feeder. Two feet of snow was too much to drive through much less pull a large bale through.

Shovel.  Shovel. Shovel.

More shovel.  More shovel.  More shovel.

The snow was too deep to roll the metal feeder so I had to shovel a smaller path from the metal feeder to where I would pull the bale. 

Then shovel a path through the corral so I could open the gates and then drive out to the bales.

Finally just before dark I pulled a large bale out to the pasture.  I discovered I hadn't made the path wide enough for the initial turn away from the bales.  The pickup ran up into the snow and stopped.  After backing up and reorienting the pickup I was able to pull the bale out to the pasture.

The cattle were happy to be able to 'pig out' on the hay.  This is how much they ate by next morning.


Much of what I shoveled on Saturday (to the gate).


Much of what I shoveled on Sunday.



Today I prepared the next bale for moving.  That meant getting a chain around the pallet the bale sits on, then pulling the bale out a few feet to ensure I can move it later.




I chatted with my neighbor today as I prepare the next bale move.  When he saw what I had shoveled he said, "No wonder you are thin."

2 comments:

darrell charbonneau said...

You need a plow or tractor buddy.

Tall Pines said...

Yes I do! I'm trying to get a used tractor with a loader to move hay and push snow. Two tractor possibilities fell through in 2014. It is a priority to get a tractor in 2015.