Thursday, January 01, 2015

New year, same old with hay

It 'warmed' up today.  10 F this morning.  So after tossing a small bale of hay to feed and occupy the cattle I went out to drag another large bale to the feeder in the north pasture.  Time to take a break from feeding the cows small bales of hay multiple times a day.  (I still toss a bale or two to the calves each day).

The large hay bale move didn't go as smooth as last time.  The bale was sitting on two smallish pallets which were partially frozen to the ground.  I finally got the bale and pallets moving but I left some of the bottom boards frozen in the ground (as seen below).


The five inches of snow that fell last week?  I shoveled some of it but left most of it.  Under the snow was ice.  I needed the snow for traction even if it sometimes piled up in front of the bale and pallet as I pulled them.

Getting the bale to the feeder was: take a short run and jerk the bale for a ways until all of the pickup's tires were spinning.  Then repeat and repeat, etc.  A few times I shoveled away the snow that built up in front of the bale.

In the beginning I only had one chain around the pallets.  As it appeared I was moving the pallet more than the bale I added another chain around the bale.  The first pull and one of the hooks snapped off the second chain.  The cold making the chain brittle didn't help.


I reworked the chain and got the bale moving.   Then after a few more jerks I pulled the pallets out from under the bale.

I got another chain and between the three chains I had wrapped the bale good.  I could still pull the bale without the pallets as I was moving over snow and wouldn't damage or ruin the bale.  You can see how the hay made grooves in the snow.


Finally I got the bale to the feeder.


Later in the afternoon I went out to fix up the tarp covering the bales.  Daisy came with me this time.  After getting me up several times in the night to let her outside for short times (still cold- ever hopeful), then later running around the house opening partially shut inside doors and scratching and wanting in closets, Daisy slept in the morning while I moved the bale.


No comments: