Sunday, November 23, 2014

Tarp and ice

A side effect of placing a tarp over the large hay bales is that water collects in the low areas.  Then freezes into blocks of ice.  This makes it harder to get new bales as I need to remove the tarp from the bale before moving it.  For the last bale I moved it was a challenge to get several sections of ice off the tarp as the ice froze to the tarp.

Saturday the temperature got above freezing so I spent a few hours removing more ice blocks.  I had almost 20 ice blocks to remove.  I got all but two removed.   Some areas where the water pooled was shallow and the ice easily removed.  Other areas were quite large and difficult.

After I got the ice off the tarp I removed the chunks from near the bales.  I didn't want them to freeze to the ground preventing me from dragging a bale and pallet to the corral.  Some chunks were so large I had to slide them across the ground as they were too heavy to lift.  I moved the largest blocks near my little pine trees.



The final two pieces of ice.
 
Saturday when I removed the ice from the tarp Daisy was inside the house sleeping.   Sunday morning I went out to take photos of the ice and Daisy was running around outside.  Of course she saw me outside and came over to 'help' me.

Hey!  What are you up to?

I'm coming to 'help' you.

Climbing up on top of the large bales: not a problem for Daisy.  She jumped up the side of the bale and hooked her claws into the hay.  Then she 'rock climbed' quickly to the top to join me.


Then Daisy walked around the tarp and found a few tiny pools of water.  To help me remove the water she licked it up.  Of course, her love of water outside her water dish had nothing to do with her helping me.





Any more water over there?

Nope.  No water over there.

No comments: