Wednesday, November 19, 2014

South corral fence rebuild

This past Spring, after I completed the west corral fence rebuild, I continued on and rebuilt the south corral fence.  This was a longer section of fence with 17 railroad ties and a gate.  The old south corral fence fence was straighter than the west corral fence so I ended up taking the old fence down as I rebuilt the new fence.  I kept the cattle on the north side of the corral so I didn't have to deal with them as I rebuilt the fence. 

I didn't have any log-like boards left to make my fence look "ghetto".  Tammy actually came out several afternoons and kept me company as I built the fence, and usually helped me when I needed an extra hand with longer boards.  Of course Daisy 'helped' me too every day.

While I had fixed this section of the fence earlier, it is an example of why I needed to upgrade my fence.


How the old fence looked when I started the rebuild.


 After the rebuild. A more solid fence.


Before...


After...



This fence should last a long time.


The yellow rope kept my fence straight.



When digging holes for railroad ties I dug up an old chain.


I also dug up the remnants of an old tree stump.  Western Larch tree.



I put a gate in the fence.  Here I am drilling a hole in the railroad tie for the gate's latch.



The gate and the hole for the latch.


Beulah's newborn calf decided to lay nearby while I gathered railroad ties for the fence.  This made Beulah nervous which made me nervous.



When moving the railroad ties a mouse jumped out and ran under the pile of ties. I called for Daisy and she ran over. The mouse got away.


But then Daisy found the nest the mouse had built out of grass and cattle hair. Daisy started to pounce up and down on the nest and tearing at it.  Huh?   Then she uncovered baby mice.  They didn't survive.


Tammy sat in the chair a few days to watch me work on the fence.  Sometimes Daisy sat in the red feeder to watch me.





No comments: