Monday, November 10, 2014

Red Heifer is mine

Dan took his pairs back home last week. Sunday he finally decided to sell the red heifer to me.  That makes 10 cows for me.  My little herd is getting bigger.

The cost?  Much more than I paid for the pairs last year.  There is a reason your steak costs so much these days. Someone I know paid $1800 this Fall for a registered Red Angus heifer who wasn't yet one year old and was not bred.  My new heifer is a 2 year old registered red Angus heifer.  And she is bred.  To my bull, so I know who the Daddy is.

Even though it was raining on Sunday I went out of the corral to let her rejoin the herd.  The hitch was that the herd was waiting outside the corral and they wanted in the corral more than she wanted out of the corral.

I had my pail of apples and tried to toss the apples over the fence to distract the herd.  The problem was that the red heifer wasn't that interested in leaving the corral.  She wanted the pail of apples.  I had to give up as the herd would come back to the gate while the red heifer dithered.

Later I had to go to the irrigation shed to retrieve a forgotten tool.  The herd went to the river.  When I got back to the corral I was able to leave the gate open a long time and then encourage the red heifer to leave.  She left the corral and then the herd came back once they saw I was back at the corral.  I've noticed that the black cows seem to discriminate and pick on Momma.  And when the herd came together the red heifer wanted to fight Momma.  You'd think that both being red they would be friendlier with one another?

I had to coax her out from one part of the corral to the main part.

Usually she is mild mannered, but alone she can get pushy.  She will dance around and charge me.  I had to climb the fence a few times.  She wanted the apples.



Would you stand your ground when you saw this coming at you?



The many want to join the one more than the one wants to join the many.  Go figure.


All together now.

No comments: