Tuesday, November 11, 2014

First hay bale move

While we only got a coating of snow instead of the predicted 2 to 4 inches, between the snow and the colder temperatures, I got a bale of hay out for the cattle.  I had hoped to move a large bale before the snow and bad weather but I was waiting on Dan's decision whether to sell me the red heifer.  If Dan kept the heifer I needed that area in the corral to make backing the stock trailer to the loading corral easier.

On Monday I moved the hay bale.  I don't have a tractor yet so this was a test to see if my pickup could pull and move a 1700+ lb bale.  The little snow made the test trickier as the ground was slippery.  I have the small bales in the barn if the big bale could not be moved, but I wanted the big bale to move for several reasons.  One is to have an option until I get a tractor.  Second is that feeding the small bales means going out several times a day to put hay in the wood feeders.  I didn't feel like doing that right now with the cold and strong winds.

I was very happy that I made sure all the large bales were placed on wooden pallets.  I was able to wrap a chain around the pallet to move everything, and another chain around the bale so both moved at the same time.

I had to make a little running start to get the pallet and bale to move, but once they moved I was able to keep them moving.  I am happy my pickup is a four wheel drive.

Success!



That cattle were waiting outside the corral.  Many - most notably Beulah - were impatient and bellowing.

I found the hardest part wasn't moving the bale - it was flipping the feeder on its side so I could move it to and over the bale.  This feeder is heavy duty and solid.  And heavy.  Heavier than the metal feeder I had last year.  It took me longer to lift the feeder than moving the bale.  I had to stage the lift in order to change positions for lifting.  The last bit is tricky as the feeder is higher than I can touch the top.  I need to give a final push to get the feeder on its side but I can't push too hard so it flips completely over or too soft that it falls back on me.

I also have to be careful flipping the feeder over the bale.  If I don't position the feeder right it can fall on and not over the bale.  Then try moving the feeder if it rests on the bale!

I did it finally.  I think I need a tractor more to lift and move the feeder than I do moving the bale.






Beulah still bellowing at me.

The pecking order:  the bull, Beulah, the rest of the black cattle, the red Angus heifer, Momma.  The black cattle would tolerate Momma eating with them, but would chase the red heifer away.  A few times the red heifer would see an opportunity to chase Momma away.  *sigh*  There is enough hay for everyone so they all will get something to eat; maybe just not all at once.

Red heifer standing alone waiting to eat.

Half of the calves immediately ate hay; the other half laid down on the wood chips in the loafing shed and out of the wind.

I also love my new well.  Turn it on and quickly fill the water trough.  No thawing a faucet or draining hoses afterwards.  The cattle were thirsty as I have had to fill the trough twice today.

-

No comments: