Friday, October 31, 2014

Winding down to Winter

Fall moving to Winter.

Today the horses left for the year. While there is still grass for them to eat, it's that time. Loading was quick and easy as the horses just walked right into the stock trailer.

I am trying to finish up a few projects before the snow flies and stays on the ground for good.  We are forecast for a chance of a few snow flurries reaching the ground on Sunday.  The wood feeder rebuild north of the barn is 99% done.  I have a few other projects I really want to get done this year.  The rest... would be nice but realistically at this point they will probably be delayed until next year unless November has really nice weather.

The mice must be hunkering down this Fall as Daisy has not brought any mice home for a while now.  She also spends more time in the house and with me.  When Tammy was here she liked the house temperature to be in the mid 70s degrees.  Now with just me the house temperature is in the 50s and 60s.  Daisy likes it cool and would seldom lay on a person's lap when Tammy was here.  Now with a cooler house Daisy will lay on my lap as she doesn't overheat now.

Buddy the bull comes and goes as he pleases.  In and out of the middle pasture every day.  This afternoon he was by the middle/south pasture gate so I walked out and opened it.  He walked over and stood in the gate opening.  For the longest time.  Fortunately the herd was elsewhere.  Finally he walked through the gate over to a salt block.  Just before dark I noticed he was back in the middle pasture.  And so was the little steer calf.  *sigh*

A few days ago I checked with three local tractor dealers for a used tractor.  Might be some prospects.  I'll follow up next week after the elections.  I am a chief election judge again.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: