Monday, October 27, 2014

Buddy does what he wants

Saturday I didn't get back from hiking until dark so I couldn't tell if Buddy was in the south or middle pasture.  Sunday morning I found out.  He was in the middle pasture again.  So was that little stinker steer.  I let them be.  The cows appear to be all 'satisfied' so Buddy is content to leave them and wander into the middle pasture.

In the afternoon Daisy and I went out to check the fence.  The fence wires were stretched in a new area.  The little steer stepped right through the fence back to the south pasture when I walked out there.  Buddy was laying down chewing his cud.  I let him be.  Daisy sat and watched from the safety of some trees when I was near the cattle.

I doubled checked that the little steer had no balls.  Nope, no balls.  He sure is an independent little guy.  Between his stocky build and his independence I began to wonder if his balls really had fallen off after I banded them this Spring.

I added wire to the fence where it was stretched.

In the evening just before dark I saw Buddy was near the gate and the herd wasn't.  I went out and opened the gate.  Buddy walked over and stood in the open gate.  He looked at the herd.  He looked at the gate.  He looked at me.  He is impressive.

There is no hurrying Buddy.  He does what he wants.  And since I don't want to get hurt, I respect that.  Especially since the gate is a barb wire gate and not much protection from a mad bull when open.

After forever he walked into the south pasture and turned around as I closed the gate.  Buddy wanted to lick and possibly nibble on my hand.  I let him lick my hand.  He wasn't keen on me scratching his head as he wanted to nibble on my hand.  I left him so he would to go back to his ladies.

Tomorrow?  Will Buddy finally stay out of the middle pasture?  I hope so.

No comments: