Monday, October 13, 2014

Cattle hide 'n seek

The day I got home from Washington State I let the cattle into the south pasture. Even if the photo and video doesn't show it, the south pasture has more green grass that the hayfield, especially down near the river.  Dan still hasn't made a decision on whether he will keep the three cows or sell them to me.  With the green grass it will be harder to get his cattle to the corral if he decides to keep them.


Here is short video of the cattle coming through the gate. The last cow was a little excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMWMMCa_RI&feature=youtu.be


Today I noticed one cow in the middle pasture.  *sigh*   When I went out to the pasture I counted the herd.  Five were missing.  Four calves and one cow.  I walked the south pasture.  Nothing.  I walked the middle pasture.  Nothing.  I got my boots and walked through the pastures again on the way to the island.  Nothing.  On the island.  Nothing.  I walked through my neighbor's pasture and his forest.  Nothing.

When I came back to my south pasture the cattle were there.  What?!  Where they were hiding, I don't know.

I patched the fence where the one cow got through and then herded her back into the south pasture as the herd was now away from the gate.  The cow stood and watched me open the gate.  She didn't want to be herded and would back up or hop sideways each time I herded her.  She bellowed.  The rest of the cattle took notice and came running over.  I picked up the pace and got the cow through the gate before the herd reached the gate.

*whew*  No wonder it takes me so long to get anything else done.  Over the past two days I only got two hours of work done on the north barn feeder rebuild. 

No comments: